As an Amazon Affiliate Partner I earn from Qualifying Purchases

Settling down with your partner is an enthralling step, but it is vital  to make sure you understand your relationship’s legal status in the UK.

Living together means cohabitating as a couple without getting married or in a civil partnership.

A civil partnership is a lawful relationship which can be formed by two people who aren’t related to each other.Civil partnerships can be of both same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples.

Legal differences between living together and civil partnership

Living together

It’s possible to set down the legal rights in certain aspects of your relationship with your partner, you can make an official agreement that will be recognised by the UK courts. This is known as a living together agreement or cohabitation agreement.

This agreement can be about, for example, shared responsibility of your children, looking after the  property where you live. 

You will need the help of the best immigration lawyers in London to guide you through the process.

Civil partnership

Registering yourself under the  civil partnership will give your relationship legal recognition within the UK. It will grant you additional legal rights, as well as responsibilities.

Once you have registered a civil partnership, it can only be broken if either of you dies, or by applying to court to dissolve the partnership legally.

You cannot apply to bring a civil partnership to get dissolved until it has lasted for at least one year.

What is a Pre-registration agreement

As civil partners, you may choose to set down an agreement, known as a pre-registration agreement, before you register your civil partnership. A pre-registration agreement can set out your rules, rights and duties towards each other and, in particular, what should happen if your relationship gets dissolved.

Your eligibility

You don’t need to prove eligibility for living together but you definitely need to prove  eligibility for a civil partnership visa UK.

  1. A minimum age of 16 years 
  2. If you are above 18 years, you are legally eligible to enter into a civil partnership.
  3. If you are above 16 years of age but below 18 years of age. You must have your parents’ consent.
  4. Scotland citizens are exempted from taking parents’ consent
  5. Neither of you is already either a civil partner or have been married
  6. You have lived in the same district in England or Wales for at least 7 days
  7. If both couples are linked by  blood relations, you cannot register.

Financial support and obligations

Neither you or your partner has a legal obligation to support the other financially at the end of a relationship if you were only living together. But, you will be legally obligated to support a child if you are the child’s birth or adoptive parent.

Both the partners have a lawful responsibility to support each other financially when your civil partnership has been dissolved.


If you both partners are living together and you both have different bank accounts, neither of you can have access to money held in the other partner’s account.

If you and your civil partner have different bank accounts and either of you dies, the bank can allow the other one to withdraw any money left in the account but the amount left should be small. The bank would ask you to furnish any proof of your relationship and proof that your partner has died.


People who are cohabitating and civil partners are taxed separately. Each of you can claim your personal allowance.

If you are a civil partner, you can claim and access the married couple’s allowance, but only if you or your partner was born before 6.04.1935.

Take legal advice

Understanding and exercising your ingenuity towards agreement of complying with the obligations of civil partnership can become strict and exhaustive for you. You can take legal support from the best immigration lawyers in London, who know exactly what your unique problem is and provide a bespoke solution. A Y & J Solicitors have an excellent track record of continuous success rate in spouse visa and civil partnership.

As an Amazon Affiliate Partner I earn from Qualifying Purchases